Frequently Asked Questions
- APRIL Marine has been specializing in boat insurance for over 40 years. We insure jet skis, fishing boats, cruisers, motor boats, sailboats and more. We take an innovative and proactive approach to insurance. We build, manage and sell insurance contracts and services that allow pleasure boaters to enjoy their watercraft to the fullest and with complete safety. As a master broker specializing in boat insurance, APRIL Marine is proud to work with a wide network of partner brokers. We insure more than 83,000 pleasure boaters in Canada, France and the Caribbean.
- To take out a boat insurance policy with APRIL Marine, just contact your usual broker. Our network of 3,000 partner brokers across Quebec and Ontario will be able to offer you the best insurance protection for your needs. If your broker is not yet an APRIL Marine partner, he or she can contact our Development Manager, Hugo Deschamps, at email@example.com
- We primarily insure the following types of watercraft: personal watercraft (jet skis), runabouts, fishing boats, cruisers, ski boats, pontoons, sailboats, cuddy cabins, jet boats, sport boats, bass boats and cabin boats. That being said, we can adapt our flexible insurance coverage to your specific watercraft and needs. If your watercraft is not on this list, have your broker contact our team of underwriters to find the most suitable insurance coverage for your needs.
- Of course! Simply ask your marine insurance broker to contact us to transfer your policy.
- The best way is through your insurance broker. If you need to change your address or make changes to your contract, simply ask your broker. He or she can update your file in just a few clicks on our dedicated online broker site.
- You can cancel your insurance policy at any time through your broker. We will refund the amount paid for the time remaining on your policy after adjustment. And if you decide later on to take up a new insurance policy with us, you can do that, too! We’ll simply create a new contract. Keep in mind that our insurance rates may vary from year to year and that your new premiums may differ.
- The risk of damage to a boat is surprising large: collision, engine failure, theft, vandalism, fire, vermin and rodents. While you are not obligated to have boat insurance, sailing with a good insurance policy will give you the peace of mind of knowing that your property and loved ones are protected. APRIL Marine offers complete protection and 24/7/365 dock and water assistance. Note that when financing a watercraft, some lenders may require you to have boat insurance.
- As a boat insurance specialist, APRIL Marine’s insurance policies offer pleasure boaters coverage that goes well beyond that of home insurance: emergency towing, 24/7 assistance on water and on the dock, coverage for water sports and fishing equipment, pollution and wreck removal, concierge service, rental costs for a replacement boat, and much more!
- Generally, no. As with most things in life, you usually get what you pay for. This also applies to watercraft insurance. Everyone loves saving money, but shaving a few bucks off your insurance premiums can mean deep reductions in your coverage. The most important thing is to have the coverage you need.
- If you are financing your boat, you should insure it for at least the amount still owing on it. If in doubt, your marine insurance broker can give you a value range for your watercraft. You can also consult a boat dealer. The best policies will cover your watercraft for what’s called an “agreed value.” Make sure you’re comfortable with this agreed-upon amount as it is the maximum amount you will receive in the event of a total loss. If your boat is less than 5 years old, it can make more sense to insure the craft either for its original purchase price or for its current market value. That way, depreciation will not apply on the amount you receive in the event of a total loss. APRIL Marine assistance offers policyholders free appraisal of a watercraft’s sale or resale value to ensure the premiums you pay are always fair.
- Liability coverage covers you against claims for property damage and bodily injury. All-risk coverage covers liability as well all possible risks of damage to your boat, apart from certain exclusions. There are many reasons to opt for all-risk coverage: no depreciation on the amount you receive in the event of the boat’s total loss, coverage for fishing and water sports equipment, coverage for damage caused by rodents, emergency towing and even coverage for renting a replacement boat while yours is being repaired so that you don’t miss even a moment of the season.
- Our policy covers you, the policyholder, as well as your spouse and dependents, along with members of your immediate family and any other person operating your boat with your permission and legally able to drive. You are ultimately responsible for the actions of anyone driving your boat. Our policies apply to non-commercial watercraft only. You are therefore not covered for a boat rental.
- We take a number of factors into account when calculating your premium: the type of watercraft, its age and insured value, the amount of your deductible, your boating experience and your claim history. Rest assured that we always calculate your premium as accurately as possible.
- When your marine insurance broker requests a quote on our dedicated broker site, he or she can see a detailed summary of everything that’s covered under your policy, including the amount of your premiums. When the contract is finalized, you will receive a copy including your policy number, its coverage period and everything that’s covered under the policy.
- Yes. Our flexible policies allow you to adapt your coverage to your needs, even as they change over time. You can raise or lower your deductible, extend your navigation period, and adjust the amount of coverage for fishing and sporting equipment, emergency towing or the rental of a replacement boat in the event of a covered loss.
- We give you several ways to lower your premiums:
- When you join Club APRIL Marine, you automatically get a 10% discount on your insurance policy along with numerous other benefits: discounts from our partners, invitations to exclusive events, fishing contests and tournaments, a free subscription to PLAISANCE Mag’ and more. • When you complete any navigation training of 18 hours or more, we reward your prudence by lowering your premiums. • If you have 3 consecutive years without a claim, we lower your premiums with a safe boating bonus. • If you insure more than one watercraft: the more boats you insure, the less you pay. • When you recommend APRIL Marine to your friends: they’ll get a 10% discount on their premiums and you’ll get a $20 Visa gift card for every friend who takes out a policy with us.
- The deductible is the amount that is subtracted or “deducted” from your claim payment. You can choose the amount of your deductible when you take out your insurance policy. The higher your deductible, the lower your premiums and vice versa. The amount for each coverage is specified in your insurance contract.
- This is the amount that you and the insurer have agreed your watercraft is worth. In the event of a total loss, this is the amount you will receive for a jet ski that’s less than 5 years old, and for a boat that’s less than 10 or 15 years old, depending on your policy. The agreed value is specified in your insurance contract. In the event of a partial loss, no depreciation will apply.
- This is the amount it would cost to replace your watercraft with a similar one in the same condition. In the event of a total loss, the amount you receive will be equal to watercraft’s market value on the day of the loss for a jet ski that’s more than 5 years old, and for a boat that’s more than 10 or 15 years old, depending on your policy. Most of our all-risk policies increase the watercraft’s actual cash value by 10% in the event of a total loss. This means you will be paid the market value of your boat on the day of the loss + 10% of this amount. In the event of a partial loss for a jet ski that’s more than 5 years old or a boat that’s more than 10 or 15 years old, depending on your policy, the watercraft’s actual cash value will be depreciated based on its age and condition.
- Before making any changes or modifications to your boat, inform your insurance broker to ensure your boat is properly covered. Our insurance covers certain types of modifications, such as adding a trolling motor or a trimmer. Any modifications that increase the boat’s speed or performance are not covered.
- Our boat insurance covers a vast navigation area. You are covered anywhere in Canada and in the northern U.S. states.
- Yes, if you have chosen all-risk coverage.
- Yes, if you have chosen all-risk coverage. This includes damage caused by rodents or an infestation of zebra mussels.
Making a Claim
- For immediate assistance or to make a claim, you can contact APRIL Marine Assistance 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-866-683-6521. Simply follow the steps on the “Making a claim” page.
- Our in-house team of claims adjusters will assist you step by step, from opening the claim to receiving your final payment. We’ll make every effort to provide you with a clear and rapid response so that you can get back in the water as soon as possible!
- After you contact APRIL Marine Assistance, our in-house team of claims adjusters will get back to you within 3 working hours to open your claim. We’ll make every effort to provide you with a clear and rapid response so that you can get back in the water as soon as possible!
- Yes. You have 3 years to file a claim from the moment of the loss or damage. You will, however, need to present proof of the damage, such as the damaged parts themselves, repair bills, photos, etc.
Club APRIL Marine
- When you protect your watercraft with APRIL Marine, you also automatically join Club APRIL Marine – a community of 30,000 members who share your passion for the water. Club APRIL Marine is a non-profit organization with a three-pronged mission: to promote boating in Quebec, to offer services that let you enjoy being out on the water without the worry, and to promote its values of sharing, respect and community.
- The yearly membership fee for Club APRIL Marine is $30, which you will quickly recoup through numerous benefits:
- 10% immediate discount on your boat insurance policy (minimum discount of $35).
- Up to 25% off from our many partners – boat accessories, equipment, dealers, repair shops, recreational centres, and navigation training.
- Free 24/7 referral assistance for towing services.
- Concierge service for your convenience and full enjoyment – restaurant reservations and trip planning, useful information on marinas and access ramps, and more.
- Free yearly subscription to PLAISANCE Mag’, the magazine for water buffs.
- Invitations to exclusive events – the largest jet ski group outing in Quebec and a huge annual fishing tournament with fishing ambassador Cyril Chauquet.
- Advice, how-to’s and training for getting the most from your time on the water.
- Environmental protection is a priority for Club APRIL Marine. We’re proud to donate a portion of your contributions to several organizations whose mission is protecting the environment. Thanks to your membership, the Club is able to support this worthy cause on a daily basis: the cleaning of waterways, the preservation of marine species and biodiversity, the raising of funds to support research and even the adoption of a beluga.
- As they say, there’s “strength in unity.” By working together, we can preserve the lakes that are so dear to our hearts! Club APRIL Marine is proud to partner with major initiatives such as Mission 100 tonnes and encourage you to join us during our clean up events. Follow our Facebook page to always know the dates of upcoming events!